The 6 Best Single Cup Coffee Makers with Grinder
If you’re looking for a comprehensive coffee maker with grinder that does it all, from grinding your coffee while you’re asleep to ensuring the perfect hot cup of Joe as soon as you wake up, then you want a Cuisinart.
Single serve, single cup, full pot, the Grind & Brew Automatic Coffee Maker with Grinder does it all. And so does its sister model, the Grind & Brew Thermal Coffee Maker with Grinder. Both are programmable. Both have automatic shutoff features. Both grind your coffee beans for you. But which does it better?
|Cuisinart Grind & Brew|
|A perfect addition to any modern kitchen, grind whole beans and brew flavorful coffee|
|Grinds Whole Beans|
|1 - 12 Cups|
|Charcoal Water Filter|
|7.5” L x 11.2” W x 15.2” H|
|3 Year Warranty|
|Cuisinart G&B Thermal|
|Retire your alarm clock and wake up instead to the rich aroma of freshly ground coffee|
|Grinds Whole Beans|
|1 - 10 Cups|
|Charcoal Water Filter|
|9.8” L x 12” W x 17.5” H|
|3 Year Warranty|
Well, they do it about the same. But the Grind & Brew Automatic Coffee Maker with Grinder does it at almost half the price. And while each comes with dishwasher-safe components and each distributes irresistible coffee, the Automatic Coffee Maker does it with an elegance and simplicity that is hard to beat. Plus, it’s not as expensive.
The Grinding Mechanism: Blade vs Burr Grinder
There are two main types of systems found in coffee makers with grinders. There is the normal blade grinder and the burr grinder. Blade grinders work like a typical fruit blender, grinding your beans into fine grains. These are not recommended for single cup espresso drinks.
Burr grinders use a bit more finesse, using specialized burrs to slowly grind the coffee beans into an even powder rather than choppy grains.
Best Single Cup Coffee Maker with Grinder
1. Cuisinart Grind & Brew Automatic
WINS PICK OF 2020
If you’re after a feature packed, well-made and extremely durable coffee maker, you’d be hard pressed to look past the Cuisinart Automatic Grind & Brew. The machine automatically grinds and dispenses beans into a reusable filter – capable of producing 1 to 12 cups of fresh coffee.
Use the pre programable set and forget feature over a 24-hour period to wake up to a freshly brewed cup – replacing your need for an alarm clock.
Use the 12-cup glass Carafe with removable lid to fill the water reservoir. Add a single teaspoon of beans to the chamber per cup you intend to brew or fill to the max line to fill the included 12 cup glass Carafe.
If you find the grinder too loud first thing in the morning, the Cuisinart allows you to switch to pre ground beans. The beans are ground and automatically dispenses into your included reusable filter. The Cuisinart also allows you to use paper filters in place of your reusable filter.
Designed for everyday use, the 4 hour auto shut off feature ensures you never leave the machine turned on.
- 1 – 4 cup setting for single serve.
- Pre programable over a 24-hour period.
- Charcoal water filter to remove impurities.
- Grind off feature allows for pre ground coffee.
- Use the reusable filter or your own paper filters.
- Includes auto shut off of up to 4 hours.
- The brew / pause function allows you to sneak a cup during the brew cycle.
- Use the grinding chamber for whole beans or pre fill the reusable filter with ground beans.
- All 5 removable parts are dishwasher safe (top shelf only).
- The machine includes a 3-year limited warranty.
We don’t like
- The grinder can be quite loud first thing in the morning.
- The grinder and basket will require cleaning after each use.
- Steam from the brew process can make its way into the grinder.
2. Cuisinart Grind-and-Brew Thermal
The Grind & Brew Thermal Coffee Maker with Grinder from Cuisinart is another of their great automatic coffee machines. Some might say this is an upgrade from the Automatic Coffee Maker with Grinder, and in a way it is.
It comes with all the standard features you have come to expect with a high-end coffee maker. You can do single serving, single cup coffees. The beans are automatically grounded inside the special chamber. You can program the machine to make your coffee while you’re still asleep. It looks good, works good, and even comes with a 3-year warranty.
So, what’s the catch? There isn’t one! It has a sleek, modern design and an ergonomic handle on the carafe. It’s compact enough to sit neatly on any kitchen counter. Even the permanent filter is gold toned, adding to the overall sense of quality. We find it to be the best grind and brew coffee maker of its class.
All of these features come easy to use. The buttons on the face of the machine are very straightforward, and it’s easy to set brew times before going to bed. This machine is great for busy people who don’t have time to grind their coffee, set the machine, and then wait around for their coffee to drip in the morning.
- Automatic grinder, just add beans
- Brew Pause to enjoy a mug before the pot is ready
- Single cup & single serve
- Automatic shutoff + 24-hour programmable
- High-quality charcoal water filter
- Capable of brewing 10 cups at once
- The thermal carafe keeps coffee hotter for longer
- The automatic features are great for convenience
- The permanent filter is good for the environment
- Single cup mode makes delicious espresso-quality coffee shots
We don’t like
- Machines have been known to act up
- Not the best longevity of a coffee maker
- Requires frequent cleaning
3. Krups Personal Café Grind Drip
So far as high-end coffee makers go, KRUPS knows what they’re doing. Their personal cafe grind drip coffee maker has so many features we barely know where to start. First and foremost, it comes with a grinder. But not just any grinder, a stainless-steel burr grinder. This is top of the line stuff.
The thing we love the most about this coffee machine is how futuristic it looks. With its black and silver exterior and orange-outlined buttons, it feels like a coffee maker from the year 3033. This is a great addition to any modern kitchen with modern appliances.
It comes included with a glass coffee pot with a black and silver handle, adding to the futuristic style. It also comes with a permanent filter, an easy-to-use coffee scoop, and cleaning brushes to make maintenance that much easier.
As if these features weren’t already enough to attract you to this awesome machine, it also has a bold brew function which allows you to strengthen the flavor of your coffee. It’s warmer stays active for a full 30 minutes, keeping your coffee nice and warm inside the unit. You can even adjust the size of your ground coffee for a tailored experience.
- 30-minute warming plate
- Permanent filter
- The grinder is exceptionally high quality
- Disassembles for easy cleaning
- Can switch between whole bean & pre-ground
- Can adjust for medium roast or dark roast
- The unique appearance of the machine
- The many options for bean grinding
- It’s extremely compact & easy to maintain
- It produces delicious brewed coffee
We don’t like
- There is no single serve option
- You cannot pre-program the coffee maker
- Limited functionality
4. Krups Coffee Maker with Grinder
As another KRUPS coffee maker with grinder, this unit is about the same price as the last one on our list. However, this coffee maker comes with a programmable feature. For those of us who don’t have the time to mess about in the morning, the automatic feature is absolutely critical. I would never buy a coffee maker without it.
Another bonus with this model is that you now get three different strengths for your coffee. You can go from mild to medium to strong with just one easy push of a button. And while it doesn’t offer a single cup solution for those of us who enjoy an intense espresso, it is programmable between 2 and 10 cups.
The brew pause feature means that you can stop the outflow of coffee and fill up your mug, then move on. In combination with the two-hour coffee warmer and you have an excellent, modern coffee maker with grinder that makes a great addition to any kitchen.
Put your beans in the special chamber, set the timer, and enjoy coffee shop-quality beverages in the comfort of your own home first thing in the morning.
- Built-in conical burr grinder for rich coffee
- Pre-programmable auto start with warming tray
- Drip-free carafe with curved spout
- User-friendly controls + LCD screen
- Makes between 2 and 10 cups of coffee
- three options for flavors: mild, medium, strong
- The variety of brewing options
- the convenience of brew pause + auto start
- the many grinding settings + powerful grinder
- how simple it is to use for anyone
We don’t like
- Hard to keep perfectly clean
- The difference in brew strengths may seem negligible
- Confusing to understand water-to-grinds ratio
- No single cup option
5. Breville Grind Control
As far as coffee makers go, this heavy-duty unit from Breville takes being a home barista to a whole new level. This hefty coffee-making genie is roughly double the price of the other coffee makers on our list. Now, does that make it better? Maybe. It depends what you’re after.
Don’t get me wrong, the grind control coffee maker is one impressive piece of technology. It comes with eight strength settings, can hold a whopping half pound of coffee beans, can brew anywhere between a single cup and 12 cups at once, and has a removable drip tray that allows you to directly fill your travel mug.
This final feature is our favorite. With the programmable auto start, you can wake up, have a shower, then grab your coffee already in its travel mug on your way out the door. Wow, now that’s convenience.
Even more, this coffee machine packs with it a lot of technology. And it displays this technology on its bright LCD screen. We’re talking the time, the water level remaining in your reservoir, your current strength selection, and even how long it will take to brew your next coffee.
If you want a high-tech option in the coffee making world, the Breville Grind Control Coffee Maker is for you.
- 8 strength settings
- Can make a single cup of strong coffee
- Strong stainless-steel body
- Removable drip tray + 7.5-inch clearance for travel mugs
- Programmable 24 hours
- Quality LCD screen shows clock/water level/grinding time/brewing time
- Its sleek appearance and stainless-steel finish
- The quality of the LCD screen, being able to see all the settings easily
- The massive capacity for storing coffee beans
- The large range of options, including brew strengths, single serving options
We don’t like
- A lot of moving parts
- Double the price of similar coffee makers
- May need to ensure the grinder is properly filled with beans
6. Mr Coffee Single Cup
Mr. Coffee is an old favorite of many coffee fanatics. Even though this single cup coffee maker with grinder is not the fanciest or highest quality coffee maker around, it does do exactly what it promises, making you a scrumptious cup of coffee using whole beans or pre-ground beans.
In honesty, we love everything about the Mr. Coffee Single-Serving Coffee Maker. It’s affordable at less than $100, it is very compact and easy to fit on a shelf or beside the stove, all the pieces quickly disassemble and are easy to clean in the dishwasher or sink, and it comes with a stylish travel mug.
And while this unit may not have a high-tech programmable feature, a capacity for holding a lot of beans, or a big 10-cup carafe, it is still a solid piece of equipment that does as advertised. It makes excellent coffee to fill a single cup anywhere up to 16 ounces, which is ideal for travel mugs.
We think this coffee maker is the best for singles or people living in small spaces. This is by far the best personal coffee maker on the market today.
- Built in grinder
- Can grind whole beans or classic ground coffee
- Perfect for travel mugs
- BPA-free premium travel mug included
- Grinder incorporated into the permanent filter
- Customizable for different coffee mugs
- The coffee maker’s simplicity is a breath of fresh air
- It is a single serve coffee maker and only a single serve coffee maker
- The included travel mug is a huge bonus
- The price of the unit is not only fair, but even feels low for such a quality machine
We Don’t Like
- Can get messy with the grinds
- Grinder is not ultra high quality
- Only good for single serving coffees
Our Top Coffee Pick
These six machines are all top of the line models, each one a fantastic coffee maker with grinder. However, there is always a winner. Our top coffee pick absolutely must be the Cuisinart Grind & Brew Automatic Coffeemaker. This unit is slick, stylish, and the best quality for the lowest price.
If you need a new coffee maker with grinder for your kitchen or home office that can deliver delicious beverages in either a single serving, a single cup, or a full pot, the Grind & Brew Automatic Coffee Maker should be your top choice. It’s affordable, it’s easy to use, and it has the best versatility we have seen on the list.